May Day is lei day in Hawai'i and also the month that mothers are honored for everything they do for us! What a cute and creative way to celebrate both holidays and also learn how to make something out of nothing! And, nothing shows more appreciation and gratitude than taking the time to create a gift for someone with your hands.
cardboard egg carton
glue gun & glue sticks
1. Cut the cover of the carton off and save it for later.
2. Carefully handling your scissors, cut down the middle of the carton, and then cut out each individual dimple. Shape your petals to your liking, I chose to round the edges. Get creative with it!
3. Paint the flowers with acrylic paint along with the cut flat sides of the cover for the lei po'o base. Use the remaining parts of the egg carton to cut out and paint leaves.
4. After hot gluing two strips from the flat side cuts to create a longer base, glue on the flowers and petals.
5. Punch a hole at each end and attach a string or ribbon to tie around your head.
Now you have a beautiful lei po'o that was created out of something you would have normally thrown away! Wear it in celebration of May Day or gift it to your lovely mom to show your love and appreciation on her special day!
We hope you have as much fun as we did making these up-cycled cardboard egg cartons! Please share and tag @friendsandfaire on Instagram! We would love to see your one-of-a-kind creations!